This day trip is available from Bogotá.
What is there to say? The Douglas DC-3 is the iconic aircraft that revolutionised air travel in the 1930s and 1940s. Over 16,000 of these aircraft were produced, more than 10,000 of which were the Douglas C-47 Skytrain version used extensively by the US Air Force and Navy.
Today it is estimated that only about 100 DC-3s remain in service, most of which are conversions of the C-47 Skytrain variant.
Villavicencio Vanguardia is the airport of Villavicencio, the capital of the Meta department. The airport is home to no less than 30 of these marvellous flying machines and the base from where they make daily flights into the most remote parts of the Colombian Llanos and the Amazon jungle to deliver vital supplies to Colombia’s most isolated communities.
The DC-3 Experience
The realisation of a childhood dream, a fascination with aviation or simply a desire to have your own aeroplane and be flown around in it. The DC-3 Experience is our most unique, idiosyncratic, capricious, extravagant, and perfectly Colombian day out.
After arriving at Villavicencio Vanguardia you will go through a brief induction and history of your aeroplane before taking to the skies for a 60 minute flight across the seemingly endless Llanos Orientales. The flight both departs from and arrives back to Villavicencio Vanguardia.
Before, during and afterwards you will have plenty of photo opportunities with your propellor piston-powered piece of aviation history.
The day trip includes transfers from and to your hotel in Bogotá
This trip is ideal for groups of up to 15 aviation enthusiasts, smaller groups are welcome but the package price will remain the same.
- Fly to Villavicencio from Bogotá El Dorado instead of travelling by bus
- Include a dinner back in Bogotá for your group
- Consider staying the night in a finca near to Villavicencio
- An absolutely unique day out amongst one third of the world’s remaining flying Douglas DC-3’s
- This is a group tour that requires at least 10 guests to be feasible. For individuals wanting to experience a DC-3, ask us about our Caño Cristales packages.